Sunday, March 26, 2006
Sunday, March 19, 2006
Remember the Shetland Lace I was playing with a few weeks ago? While I love the moorit shade of Mariah's fleece, it is not a shade that I am likely to wear in a shawl. I decided to try dye colors. The first try was a shade of Red - appropriate for Project Spectrum in March. I like the shade I came up with - deeper and darker with a definite blue red tone even over the browns. I have a great deal of fun playing mad scientist in the dye pot but this is the first time I was trying to counter balance the original shade of the wool. What I didn't want was a brownish red - blood color. I can't wear that shade either.
Thursday, March 09, 2006
Tuesday, March 07, 2006
The sock she is resting. Busy weekend and totally knit-less.
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Bold, brash, rich, fiery, luscious, ripe, hot, powerful, deep Red!Project Spectrum is a neat concept in that there is nothing specifically required. That fits real well with my creativity style. My world is a celebration of color so I thought it would be fun to stretch this fiber blog a bit with images from that world. It is also nice to have something to prod me into challenging my view and shaking out any complacency.
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
Victory - MS-FIFFAS are progressing well. I figured out the trick with the heel turn in two colors, picked up the gusset stitches and made some modifications. I am re-working the calculation charts as I get through the gusset and begin the arch shaping. (yeah!!) I am also re-working the calculations for the arch shaping, they seem to be off. I've modified it but I'm also checking with Meg. The new challenge is that of maintaining gauge. The pattern stitches change to simple stripes with the exception of a panel down the instep. The simple stripes knit to a tighter gauge than the the cuff pattern stitches did, so I'm playing with stitch counts and tension right now. Normally I would frog back to the cuff and start over with the modifications, but the modifications I think of making change as each part develops and changes the tension on the stitches. Because of this, I am going to continue through the foot and keep meticulous notes. I'm hoping to draft a new pattern from these notes and prove it out in a second pair of my own design. Stay tuned! I can't wait to see how this arch shaping turns out.